Whether made from scratch or bought fresh from the grocery, meatballs are smokey bombs of beefy joy. Meatballs nestled in a grilled bun on a heaping layer of marinara sauce also make great...eyes.
Your meatball sub might have taken a scary turn, but we guarantee it’s still just as delicious.
Scary Eyes Meatball Sub
- 12 Meatballs, raw
- 3 sub rolls
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 green olives stuffed with garlic
- 6 black olives, sliced
- Prepare the grill for direct grilling over medium heat (350º to 450º F).
- Slice each olive approximately ¼-inch from the opening so the garlic stuffing shows. Slice each black olive in half.
- Brush the cooking grates clean.
- Grill the meatballs over direct medium heat, turning several times, for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Split the sub rolls and grill cut side down over direct medium heat until marked, approximately 30 seconds.
- Equally top the bottom of each roll with marinara sauce, 4 meatballs, and cheese.
- Place a green olive and black olive slice on each meatball so they resemble eyes and eyebrows.
- Serve warm.